Dating isn’t as culturally acceptable here (basically because most parents prefer if their daughters don’t date), so teens go where they can be alone. Alone, however, is a relative term.
I allow myself one trip to Starbucks a month. I made this decision for a couple reasons: 1) It’s not very close to where we live. 2) It’s not very healthy (at least not what I get to drink). 3) And it’s expensive.
But I always have to prepare myself when I go there, because that is where all of the teen couples go to get away from their parents. As conservative as this society is in certain areas, those teens really know how to make out in public. And it doesn’t just happen at Starbucks, but the top floor of McDonald’s or Burger King, benches along the coast of the Bosphorus, under trees in city parks... You get the picture.
I thought about actually snapping a picture to prove this, but I thought that was a little intrusive. That would really teach them a lesson, though, wouldn’t it?
2 comments:
I thought that this would be about being away from *our* parent's eyes! Funny post! So are those the only places that PDAs are "acceptable"?
A - It depends on where you are. In some neighborhoods, you would really stand out if you held hands on the street, although in those areas, I can hold Scott's arm. In other parts of the city, anything goes. It's a big, diverse city!
Post a Comment