Tuesday, January 5, 2010

50 degrees

55 degrees was always my cut-off in the States for wearing a T-shirt and shorts on my runs. I would start out a little cold, but would warm up quickly enough.

Knowing that it was 50 degrees out on Saturday, I’m not sure why I dressed myself in jeans, a long-sleeved shirt under a short-sleeved shirt, a vest, a light rain jacket, and a scarf. Granted, I wasn’t going for a run, but even as we walked hurriedly to catch the bus, I started to overheat. Why do I think that 50 degrees here is way colder than 50 degrees in the States? Maybe it’s because everyone is dressed in their winter best, complete with puffy coats, scarves, gloves, and hats (or at least a scarf-covered head). Maybe it’s because it is January 5th, and it is supposed to be really cold (in Minnesota, not here).

As we walked out the door yesterday morning and breathed in crisp, dry 38-degree air, Scott turned to me and said, “This is a beautiful October morning”. Except, that’s it's not October.

2 comments:

Pink Mom said...

Man - I wish it was 50 here. It has been so cold, that when it hits 30 later this week I may wear shorts because it will seem soooooo warm!

Bill said...

4 layers and a scarf for 50 degrees? Didn't you use to line in Iowa/Minnesota?
You're really losing it :o)