Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tongue-tied

I don’t want to say something rude. The same phrase in Turkish is Ayıp birşey söylemek istemiyorum. If I translate word-for-word, it’s "Rude something to-say want-not-I." As you can see, putting the words in the right order is a big stumbling block in learning this language. I guess the book that promised I would learn Turkish in three months was wrong. Darn. :-)

It’s actually a pretty fun language to learn. For an engineer, it’s easy at the beginning...relatively speaking. It’s very methodical. There are very few exceptions, very few irregular verbs, but it is taking a while to learn to say things “backwards”. Every time I’m in a situation where I can’t communicate clearly, it just motivates me to keep learning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have to talk like Yoda in the direct translation....

Alyssa said...

A - You are totally right! I bet Turks wished all Americans spoke like Yoda. :-)

Love you,
A