“Not everyone should be a mom,” the psychologist informed us.
How is that helpful?!? The six women in the room were between 23 weeks and 31 weeks pregnant.
Scott and I were not a big fan of the one-hour consultation that our class had with the psychologist.
What type of mom do you have in your head?
Was your mother a good mother?
To be a mother, you have to seriously want to be a mother.
For the first six months, sleep in the same room, but not the same bed.
I see too many fathers trying to be mothers.
And on and on... She had too many “right” answers for my taste. But maybe that’s how they do it here? Give your expert opinion and don’t leave much room for choosing alternatives.
Scott & I were the only ones who hadn’t picked out names yet. Turks choose names really early and use them the entire pregnancy. I said that normally Americans wait until after the baby is born to officially choose a name. Sometimes parents even want to see their baby before they choose the name.
“That’s just like the Native Americans,” one gal excitedly told me. “They wait to see the baby’s personality before they name them.”
Oh, how many Native Americans do you know? I wanted to ask. Not that I know any, but I wasn’t claiming to know their baby-naming habits either. (Turks have an intense interest in cowboys and Native Americans.)
No comments:
Post a Comment