Sunday, April 10, 2011

The tip that paid off

Several months ago, we received a Christmas package from Scott’s sister, Jill. To be honest, before that package, receiving packages was a little stressful. We never knew when they would arrive, and if we weren’t home to receive them, the delivery man would leave a little slip of paper. When we first arrived in Turkey, that little slip of paper meant, “Good luck finding your package, mate.” But as we’ve learned the system and can more easily call around to post offices to ask if they have it, it’s become easier. However, in the off-chance that the package is worth over $100, it returns back to where it entered the country, which is a long ways away in the European borough of Topkapı.

Sometime before receiving Jill’s package, we (and when I say “we”, I mean “Scott”) figured out that if we have the US customs form number, we can actually track our package. That was exciting news! I knew when the package had arrived at the Topkapı processing location. I knew when it arrived on the Asian side at our post office. I knew when it was given to the delivery man and three hours later, it was at our door.

Also on the website, it details if there is a postage fee that is required. The amount for our last package was $0.00. However, when the delivery man showed up, he said I owed 2.50 lira. Now folks, that isn’t a lot of money (about $1.60), but I get kind of upset when I think I am being cheated. I paid it anyway. What could I do? But the kicker of the situation is that I gave my predetermined tip of 5 lira. It’s hard to think fast on my feet in Turkish. Well, I’m not actually thinking in Turkish, but I am processing the Turkish, and that takes some brain power.

So, after the door closed, I experienced the thrill of victory (opening the Christmas package) and the agony of defeat (tipping the guy 5 lira after he had cheated me out of $1.60).

Fast forward to last week. I was expecting another package from my sister. I checked the website every day for the progress of the package. I knew when it arrived in Topkapı. And then last Monday around 1pm, I checked again. On Friday, the package had apparently arrived on the Asian side and that Monday morning, it had been given to the delivery guy. WHAT?!? We had gone for a walk that morning during the normal delivery time. But there was no slip at the door. Scott was not going to be happy. This would mean a trip to the post office for him!

I kept checking the website to see if my package had been checked back in, but it hadn’t. On Tuesday morning, there was still nothing. So, for our morning walk, we just wandered around in our garden and between our two apartment buildings. Sure enough, around 11:30am, the postacı (delivery guy) came with my package! He had come the day before, but I hadn’t been home, so he was trying again.

Delivery men don’t come a second time. I’m pretty sure they are not supposed to. And I’m also pretty sure he wanted his 5 lira tip. This time, I actually saw the receipt that said I owed 2 lira for delivery, so I learned that I actually hadn’t been cheated last time. So, this time as the door closed, I experienced only the thrill of victory. And the crowd (well, at least Alyssa) goes wild!

No comments: