Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Clever Idea

A friend is coming to Istanbul in a couple weeks, and I wanted her to bring some flushable diaper liners to try out in the cloth diapers we’ve been using. Natalie and Sophia are starting solids this weekend, so I figured using liners that are flushed down the toilet is easier than cleaning up the mess myself. The package needed to arrive by tomorrow, so I called my friend who has Amazon Prime and gets two-day shipping for free. She ordered our liners for us.

As I was getting the $12 out of my wallet to pay her back last night, I looked in my coin pouch for $1 coins. I grabbed a quarter thinking it was a dollar coin (Give me a break here; I haven’t used US money in a year and a half!), and then actually found a half-dollar coin (not sure why I have that!). At that point I realized that we don’t use $1 coins in America. Huh?

I find the 1 lira (about $0.65) coins quite convenient to use here, and told Scott that we should definitely have $1 coins in America. Not 20 seconds later, I went back to my computer to check email and this story popped up.

I’ve always been good at coming up with cost-reducing ideas! :-)

4 comments:

Auntie Amy said...

We do have dollar coins!! They have Sacagawea on them and were introduced into circulation in 2000. However, no one really likes to use them for some reason!

Alyssa said...

A - I know we have them, but of course no one is going to use them if $1 bills are still in circulation. I totally forgot that we use $1 bills until I couldn't find $1 coins the other night.

Alyssa said...

A - So you don't think my idea is clever?!? :-)

Auntie Amy said...

Yes, you are a clever, clever mommy! AND it would be cost saving for our monetary system. BTW, you need to put baby pictures in your posts!